Budget flight packing list to NYC aka 5 days in NYC living out of a backpack.
Yes, my boyfriend and I booked our flights on the infamous budget airline. Instead of paying an extra $75 to check a bag or have a decent sized carry-on, I decided to give myself a “personal item” challenge. I have backpacked quite a bit through Asia and backcountry trails in MI, so I am used to narrowing down to essentials. I love not needing a lot, and packing for travel always reminds me of how little I need. When I do occasionally find myself lacking something, there is usually a store or a generous person close by. However, as a style conscious person in NYC, I feel like my backcountry packing “Who cares what I look like or smell like” philosophy doesn’t apply. I had to find a balance between packing enough to have a varied number of outfits/looks while still being able to fit everything in a small personal item/bag.
What are the NYC essentials?
1. Comfortable walking shoes - I just used my REI end of the year dividend (love free money) to get a pair of SeaVees sneakers. They are lightweight, cute, and breathable.
2. Lip stick - it is small and compact and can change an outfit. I am bringing at least 2 shades.
3. DL1961 Jeans - I can wear jeans every day and will in NYC. DL’s are made in the US, use American grown cotton, and won’t stretch out. They’ll look fresh and new every morning I put them on.
4. Secondhand leather jacket - it’s warm but not too warm, fitted but can still slip an extra layer underneath, and water resistant but breathable. Plus, I feel like a B.A. wearing it.
5. Patagonia Sling Bag - this bag travels whenever I do. It is perfect for holding just the right amount of stuff: lipstick, wallet, passport, compact jacket, phone, book/journal and sometimes even an SLR camera, too. I like that I always feel like my things are close to me. If I am feeling a little sketch, I will even wear the bag in front of me for extra security.
Throw in some tops, underwear, BB cream, toothbrush, a bar of soap, dry shampoo, and I am set for a few days in NYC.